12.28.2011

LGI Food! : Baked Oatmeal

Heyy Brickhouses!!

OMG! Three days until the beginning of 2012!! I have been getting ready by purging things from my home! There is just something about a deep cleaning that says "new beginning". I got rid of my Christmas tree today much to the dismay of Mia who kept yelling "CHRISTMAS!!!" as if looking for a lost puppy!

I have already started planning for my solo Vision Board party on December 31st and have been playing around with my tripod so I can start video blogging!! The possibilities and opportunities of 2012 are endless and I can't wait to see what is in store!


BAKED OATMEAL

Source: FYI mine didn't look like this!

I am so excited about this recipe and all the possible variations that I will be able to do with it. If you follow me on Twitter or on Facebook you know that I have struggled with making the perfect bowl of oatmeal. Jam makes some of  the BEST oatmeal I have ever tasted but he loads it with so much butter and sugar it tastes almost sinful--which is why I don't eat it often. I found this recipe on Friday after being a part of the Fitness Friday Blog Hop from Adrienne of Whole New Mom and knew that it would work! Thanks to her my oatmeal struggle is over!

You will need everything shown here:

  • 4 cups rolled oats (whole oats)
  • 4 cups milk (I use almond) 
  • 6 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (or other healthy fat alternative)
  • 1/3 cup Stevia
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon 
  • 2 eggs (or egg substitute) (not shown)
  • 2 tsp baking powder (not shown)
  • 4 tsp vanilla
  • Cinnamon Sugar (optional for topping) 
  • Dried fruit and/or nuts (optional)

1. Measure four cups of oats and milk in a large bowl

2. Add all of the sweeteners and oil and mix well. (cinnamon, stevia, salt, vanilla)

3. Soak overnight (I covered mine to seal in the moisture)

4. Mix in baking soda and eggs plus any optional items. I used dried cranberries

5. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top (optional) and put in oven for 35-45 min on 375.

6. Take out of oven, cool and enjoy!!!

I love love LOVED this recipe! As always, I tweaked it a little bit and doubled the sweeteners and used vanilla flavored almond milk. This batch made about 12 squares and is easily becoming my go to breakfast! I have had it cold, lukewarm, and hot and they all taste great! My favorite so far is hot baked oatmeal with milk and honey! OMG so tasty! I want to try different variations and experiment with different fruits and flavors next time. This weekend I plan to make a fresh batch and maybe freeze them for a grab and go experience. The best part of all is that as I stated before, my oatmeal struggle is over. *praise dance*

If you try this and like it, make sure to let Adrienne know!

What is your favorite go-to item for breakfast? Do you have another variation of baked oatmeal? Please share!

-KEF
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. Yum--are the eggs for binding?

    BTW, did ya have to take the tree down so early? We used to keep it up until at least New Year's Day. LOL. Your mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummpy bestie!!! Your so inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat oatmeal for breakfast 98% of the time. I do an overnight oats, it's just a single portion. But, I love the way your baked oats look. Is it like a breakfast cookie? Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very tasty! I might need to try this sometime this week. Q: I have been working out on my treadmill at home for 45 mins a day and I’m noticing that I am not burning the amount of calories that I would normally burn on the elliptical...I avg. like 200 cals on the treadmill and about double that on an elliptical for the same time period. How can I maximize my workout efforts for the best results with my home gym? I have free weights and a weight machine but nothing beats an elliptical wrk out I use to get going to a gym. Should I just buy an elliptical? HELP!

    -Chya

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carrie it has the consistency of a firmer brownie or a moist energy bar! Its sooo good!!

    @Chya I'll have Healthy Girl! answer your question and it will be featured this Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your name at the beginning of the comment so I can know who you are :)