9.13.2011

The not so secret...SECRET!!

I LOVE workout shirts with a message! Got this one at Target for around $6 in the Men's section!




Hi People!!
I first want to say thank you so much for your response to the first posting! It was a very humbling experience and I am very humbled and happy to know that this blog has touched you in many different ways. You MOTIVATE me and WE are going to push forward in the name of FITNESS!! 


Today I am going to talk about my secret to success with weight loss. I lost 20 lbs in five months which is about four pounds a month, which is a pound a week. If you didn't already know (when I first started I didn't), losing a pound a week is normal and HEALTHY! Weight should come off gradually and at a consistent pace. Trust me, people who are losing more than 1-2 pounds a week are probably either on  a DIET or at the Biggest Loser ranch!! If you don't believe me check this tutorial out http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_all.php.


That being said get out a paper and a pencil you are about to calculate a formula for successful weight loss geared towards YOU!!
Your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR)  is the amount of daily energy expended by humans at rest. Rest is defined as existing in a neutrally temperate environment while in the post-absorptive state. source: encyclopedia.com
This basically means, as your body is not doing exercise of any kind, it is burning calories doing NOTHING! For instance when I am at work I sit down all day in front of a computer, I would be considered sedentary. A waitress on the other hand is moving during her whole shift so she burns more calories in her environment then I would. Get it? Good! So here is the Formula:




                                      RMR

  • Take your current weight and divide it by 2.2
  • Write down your height in INCHES
  • Write down your age
  • (Keep these at the top of your page, you have to refer to them in the beginning of the formula)

                                     


 1.)    Your weight in pounds__________ divided by 2.2 =__________

2.)    Your height in inches_________ X 2.54 = __________

3.)    9.6 X the # from step 1 __________ = __________

4.)    1.8 X the # from step 2 __________ = __________

5.)    4.7 X your age in years __________ = __________

6.)    655 + the # from step 3 _________ + the # from step 4 _________- the # from

step 5 _________ = ____________ ( this will be your RMR)
     
7.)    Multiply your RMR by the appropriate activity factor: 

·         If you are sedentary (little or no activity) RMR X 1.2
·         If you are slightly active Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman): RMR X 1.375
·         If you are moderately active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman) RMR X 1.55

·         If you are very active Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter): RMR X 1.725


     RMR___________ X activity factor__________ = __________
     (This is the minimum number of calories you need each day to maintain your  
      present weight.)

  
8.)   The  # from step 7________- 500 =________
(This is the minimum number of calories you need each day to lose one pound a week).

My number of calories came out to 1465.
So now you have the not so secret secret to success! Knowing your RMR. 

Okayyyyyy...So now what?! 
Okay, so now that you know that in order to lose a pound a week just by eating at or below your calculated RMR you have to do something that you've probably never thought of before...CHECK YOUR CALORIES!!

The HORROR!! How else would you EVER know that you are under or over! Those nutrition facts on the back of your favorite goodies aren't just there for legal purposes, they are there so YOU know whats going into your body. When I first found out about my RMR I thought it would be a piece of cake. I went to Cracker Barrel and got a hearty breakfast. After calculating the calories for the meal and subtracting it from my allotted calories I had 500 calories left FOR THE WHOLE DAY!!! The purpose of checking your calories  is to show you how much is going into your body so you will make wiser choices. It may seem restrictive at first, but within a week I guarantee that those "healthy" meals you thought you were cooking, or those baked chips you never measured out and ended up eating 700 calories worth of will hit you where it hurts... your belly ! (or hips, butt, arms, thighs, neck...etc)


Remember I am here to help you reach your goals and this is SCIENCE! You know that saying 'Knowledge is Power'? Well this is not something I made up! Again I am not a expert but it has worked for me and  its PROVEN by thousands if not millions of people all over the world that have tried it and WON and we all want to be winners right? That's what I thought! LET'S GET IT!!



Have a fit-abulous day!! xoxoxo

#teamfitness
#operationbrickhouse


PS. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ calculates your RMRKEF

3 comments:

  1. Whoot whoot! Proud of you gal ;) I love the "So now what?" Pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up! You explained it so clearly, I really understand it for the first time. And keep the name, Let's Get It! It's so you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Win Thanks girl!! Thanks for subscribing and yea our girls are a trip!!

    @Mommy That is so great!! I am glad it was easy to understand!! When I start posting challenges I hope you will join in!!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your name at the beginning of the comment so I can know who you are :)