11.21.2011

LGI Food! : Feta Pizza and Sweet Potato Souffle

"Let us be grateful to friends who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." -Marcel Proust

Morning Brickhouses!!

Hope everyone had an amazing weekend!! I definitely did!! Church was amazing as usual and the message really spoke to me. I will leave it for another post but I have some decisions I need to make. Saturday night Muffin [Editor's Note: Muffin is My Favorite Negro or MFN for future references...] and I had a chance to hang out! We don't get to hang out that often with his jobs and school plus my wacky work hours, so we were both excited at the chance to have an evening of jazz, good food, a book discussion and amazing conversation!
MFN Feta Pizza - 185 calories
At one point in my life, Saturday nite was synonymous with pizza. I still like to indulge once in a while but I can't take the greasy sauce,cheese, and  bread! I am always looking for healthy alternatives so when I found this recipe on a blog recently I had to make one! By using feta in place of mozzarella, we were able to shave off  95 calories!! Building the same pizza at Domino's still has our pizza lower in calories with a 40 calorie difference. Amazing!!!

 You will need everything shown here: 


  • 1 Pizza Crust [Whole Wheat if you can find it]
  • 1/2 container of Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
  • 1/4 cup of Marinara Sauce [Tomato Sauce shown but was too soupy to use]
  • VEGGIES!!!
[I wish I had used a whole wheat crust but my local Food Lion has not gotten into better healthy options as of yet. ]

Chef KEF!!!

Muffin's favorite toppings
1. Preheat Oven to 425 degrees. Spread marinara sauce

My Sous Chef!!
Applying the Feta!! I heart Feta!!!

2. Spread the Feta

3. Add your favorite veggies! Ours was a great combo!

4. Put it in the oven on the lowest rack. Bake for 15-18 minutes

Enjoy!! And yes, I am KEF...I burnt it!
The 185 calories is per slice and this pizza made six servings so all together Muffin and I ate three slices each for an amount of 555 calories. Definitely not something I would want to make all the time!  Take in to consideration that it would have been 840 calories at Domino's I'm thinking we did pretty well!Not to mention we had a BLAST making it! I had the best Sous Chef EVER!! 

What is your favorite Saturday night meal? Have you tried any healthy alternatives or variations of your favorite meal?

Sweet Potato Souffle- 90 Calories

With Thanksgiving coming up, I wanted to try a recipe that is healthy,low in calories, without sacrificing taste. I am a magazine junkie and stumbled upon a recipe from Skinny Girl Bethenny Frankel. You may rememeber her from Real Housewives of NY. She has a lot of great fitness, recipe and lifestyle tips and was featured in People Extra's this week! 
I am a magazine JUNKIE!! I have six subscriptions in all and People is my biggest weekly indulgence! I like it because yes, it is a gossip magazine but it has very good writing and they highlight a lot of great books, recipes, and do great with social awareness. Anyhoo this edition I believe is for subscriber's only and has amazing holiday articles.

Please excuse the crumples!

You will need everything shown here:


  • Four peeled yams or sweet potatoes
  • 2 teaspoons each of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Pure Vanilla
  • 1/4 cup of Milk [soy, almond, coconut, or skim]
  • 2 tablespoons of Honey
  • Four Egg Whites
  • 2 tablespoons of Butter/Margarine
  • Lots O' BROWN SUGAR!!! [Bethenny's recipe doesn't call for it but it is a MUST]

1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Boil sweet potatoes in brown sugar and/or cinnamon

2. Mash em' up!! [Muffin's favorite part lol]

3. Mix all ingredients together besides egg whites

4. Fold in the egg whites. [Yes my laundry is in the kitchen -_-]

 Next, TASTE it!!! You know what your level of sweetness when eating a sweet potato is so at this point I would definitely season to your taste. I used the My Fitness Pal Recipe Calculator to calculate the calories on this dish with the extra amounts of ingredients we put in while making the recipe. It just wasn't sweet enough to my liking with Bethenny's original recipe.


5. I am all about minimal mess hence the cupcake tins, you can spray your pan w/ vegetable oil if you prefer.

I love the taste of crust so I added granola on top. Graham Crackers would work too!

18 tins in all!! 90 calories each!

Don't quite look like Bethenny's!!!

If you are looking for a healthy alternative to a sweet potato casserole I would definitely suggest trying the recipe. To me, it tastes like a baked yam with butter and sugar. Souffle? Never had one so I can't speak on if it tastes like one.You are definitely going to have to tweak the ingredient amount to your liking. I would have added more sugar but I wanted to keep it under 100 calories per serving.

What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving staples? Are you planning on tweaking recipes this year to make your meal more healthy?

Have a fit-abulous day!!

-KEF
xoxo

#operationbrickhouse
#healthyThxgiving
#getsome

2 comments:

  1. I'm such a fatty. I made a beeline for the feta cheese pizza. smh. Never heard of feta on pizza though. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. & chef kef- that is soo cute! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Please add your name at the beginning of the comment so I can know who you are :)