12.21.2011

LGI Food! : Easy Vegetarian Curry

Hey Brickhouses!!

The other night I was pretty much house ridden because Mia was recovering from surgery. I needed to go to the grocery story but didn't want to drag my poor baby outside drugged up and delerious. I looked in my pantry and fridge and nothing looked appealing! I had no fresh fruit or fresh veggies (besides alfalfa sprouts), yet was filled to capacity with Pedialyte, popsicles, jello, and ice cream! Since these post-surgery snacks held no appeal, I was going to eat a baked potato and some alfalfa sprouts *ewww* when I realized I had had all the ingredients for my Easy Vegetarian Curry!!


Easy Vegetarian Curry and Naan

This recipe is not an original, I actually learned to make this dish from Mia's paternal grandma Kat. She goes away each summer as a nurse for a summer camp and leaves her three boys and husband with a stocked pantry and fridge, yet they pretty much refuse to cook unprepared food! Being the kind and considerate sister/co-parent/daughter I am, I tried (stress on the try) to mimic her amazing recipes to the best of my ability!

This recipe has minimal ingredients, takes about 30 min total to prepare/cook, is tasty and hearty, plus is only 203 calories per serving* !! Score!

*With optional Worthington Chickette 313 calories

You will need everything shown here:



  • Five medium sized potatoes
  • Frozen Peas (I used edamame because it was the only thing I had in my fridge
  •  3/4 tsp of Garlic Salt (or to your taste)
  • 5 tbsp of McKay's Vegan Chicken Style Instant Broth 
  • 6 tbsp of Curry Powder 
  • Worthington Chickette * (Chicken Substitute)

Editor's Note: I am NOT a real chef/cook. If those measurements for the spices seem crazy is because I made them up! I don't measure and I am pretty sure I overcompensated on the measurements when I entered them into the recipe calculator *hangs head*
My suggestion is to taste as you go along! That's what Kat does and ALL her food is BOMB!!

* Worthington Chickette is optional


1. Bring water to boil, add garlic salt and chopped potatoes


2. Boil potatoes until they are soft (about 10-15 min). Drain 50% of the water.
3. Return to stove and put on Low/Med setting to start simmer.
4. Add garlic salt, McKay's chicken seasoning, and curry powder

5. Chop Chickette (optional) and add to pot. 
 6. Simmer curry for 15 minutes
7. ENJOY!!!

Trader Joes Naan- 180 calories

Yumm!!

Curry is traditionally eaten with rice but given the nature of my pantry at the time, I ate Naan and was very satisfied! You can try it with a nice green salad or some veggies. The possibilities are endless! I love that this recipe is a fast, very satisfying and on the low end calorie wise. 

Do you have any fast, minimal ingredient, hearty dishes? Do share!

-KEF
xoxo

I posted this recipe on My Fitness Pal. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your name at the beginning of the comment so I can know who you are :)