12.22.2011

My Fit Memoir: Lance!

Heyy Brickhouses!!

 LGI Fit loves the fellas!! Our next Fit Memoir is my Mia's- best friend- Dee's- father Lance!! *takes deep breath*

This fit journey is personal for me because from 2008-2010 I was going through virtually the same EXACT experience. Both Lance and I, and our significant others had gained a substantial amount of weight after the birth of our daughters. Any couple that has experienced a pregnancy, usually can identify with the cravings and late night runs to fast food restaurants! Jamal and I both worked at Cracker Barrel during my pregnancy so you can imagine the overindulgence that happened for nine months. The problem usually lies AFTER the pregnancy, where the eating habits of the last nine months continues, lack of exercise continues, and  possible  mommy/daddy blues set in.

Lance set up in his mind that his mental and physical health would be of utmost importance! Here is his story, prepare to be INSPIRED!!!

Dude! Ah-mazing loss!

When did your fitness journey start?
My fitness journey started Jan. 1, 2011.
 
What is your biggest motivation?

I had several factors that motivated me....
  • I am a pre-med major and I'm planning to have a career in preventative medicine, I needed to be a model of what is was to be healthy.  How can someone listen to a fat doctor who is telling them to eat better?
  • I had tons of clothes from when I was thinner that could not fit me.  I refused to buy clothes to advocate my unhealthy lifestyle.  I needed to lose the weight to get back into my clothes.  Going shopping for clothes was a long and tedious process.  There were times when I needed to get an outfit for a special occasion and I ended up not going to events due to the depression and laborious process of shopping.
  • My confidence was shattered.  I needed to rebuild it.  Still in process of rebuilding it. Once I get to my goal weight...I'll be ecstatic and much more confident and that will have a positve overall effect on my life.

That's Dee when she was almost two!! Lance is in the back. Significant change!

What is your workout regimen?
My workout regimen consists of calisthenics and aerobics.  For calisthenics I am on a pushup, squat, and crunches program.  My goal is to be able to do 100 pushups in a row, 200 squats in a row, 200 crunches in a row, and 200 reverse crunches in a row.  I already hit my goal of 200 squats in a row.  I can do 45 pushups in a row,  75 crunches in a row, and 30 reverse crunches in a row...I still have a ways to go.  For aerobics I walk for an hour everyday while reading a book. Sometimes I do Tae-Bo. Best thing I ever did, because I'm gaining knowledge while losing fat.  Next year I'm planning on hitting up P-90X.

What do you love the most about your journey and what do you find the most challenging?
The fact that when I look back and realize I came along way.  50 lbs is a long way.  The journey seemed daunting at first and I thought I was going to stay extremely obese for the rest of my life.  The most challenging about my journey is eating right.  There's so many factors that affect my eating habits.  Between peer pressure, mood swings, commercials, cravings, and the expense of foods its hard to eat food that's beneficial for your body.
 
(2009) Precious Dee again and her daddy :)

What advice do you have for other men trying to get fit?
Take it one day at a time....don't feel anxious because you have a long way to go.  If you focus on that one day, and you keep that same focus everyday, you'll realize 30, 60, or 90 days passing and you'll look back and be shocked that you actually made it through.
Also, a motto that I live by "small things."  You have to be consistent with the small things in order for you to conquer the larger challenges in life.  


Lance October 2011

What are some of your favorite foods/snacks/ meals to eat?

My favorite snack to eat are rice cakes and peanut butter.  My favorite drink is carrot juice, which I juice myself.  My favorite meal to eat is a taco salad (I use vegan sour cream because it has less calories and fat) but I eat my taco salad with ground turkey, not beef.
 
Any last words of wisdom?
Don't start your fitness journey by trying to start something really big, like p 90x or insanity if you're extremely overweight.  Start with walking everyday for 15-30 min.  Once you do that consistently then you can increase the length of time.  Also, you don't have to join a gym if you're worried about expenses, there are thousands of workouts posted on the internet that you can perform at home, even without weights.  I'll say join a gym once you are consistent with the little workouts you can do at home.  And if you are also concerned about not having time to work out, then try to spare at least 10 minutes of your day to do something.  A little is better than nothing at all.

Last thing...What's your operation name? Mine is #OperationBrickhouse!
Haha, I don't really have an operation name.  #OperationUnderConstruction maybe....because I'm working on myself, not just physically, but spiritually, and mentally as well.


On Dee's fourth birthday December 2011

WOW!!! Boy you better do it!!! I am so happy for you Lance and glad that you acted courageously in sharing your story! By sharing and being transparent, I am confident that you will inspire and motivate men to start on their own fitness journey to HEALTHY!!!

Do you have a father, brother, cousin, significant other, or male friend that needs motivation to get healthy? What have you done to help motivate them?

-KEF
xoxo

2 comments:

Please add your name at the beginning of the comment so I can know who you are :)